Run Time: 6 minutes
Author: Dr. Jeffries
- In 2014, there were 3.5 million reported cases of possible child abuse and over 700,000 of these children had evidence of abuse, which was investigated. About 9.4 children of every 1000 are victims of abuse.
- The most common type of abuse is neglect. 7% of all abuse is physical abuse.
- In 80% of cases, the parent is the perpetrator.
- Most common victims are children under 1 year old, but children younger than three have the highest fatality rate due to physical abuse. There were 1580 deaths due to physical abuse in 2014 and greater that 70% of these deaths were children under 3.
- Children presenting with lethargy, apnea, vomiting, and seizures without an obvious cause may be victims of abuse. Sentinel injuries, or injuries that indicate abuse to the child, include any type of bruise in an infant. For children remember, TEN 4, meaning bruises to the torso, ears, and neck on children under four years of age.
- Abusive head trauma has a fatality rate greater that 20% and if they do survive the trauma they can have developmental delays. 15-30 per 100,000 infants.
- Abdominal injuries are the second most common cause of fatality in children and most deaths occur in children 2-3 years of age.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/child-abuse/