Run Time: 11 minutes
Author: Dr. Donald Stader
- Pneumonia is the 8th leading cause of death in the United States – Pneumonia is coined an old man’s best friend.
- Pneumonia is classified by where it is, what type of infection it is, walking or classic, and the big one is community acquired vs. health care associated.
- For admission use the CURB 65 rule: Confusion, Uremia, RR >30, BP <90, and age >65 – each is graded on a 0-1 scale – 0-1 score can be followed as an outpatient, 1-3 should be admitted, and 3-4 need to be in the ICU.
- Often HCA pneumonia is due to drug resistant bug and may be caused by passive or active aspiration while in a healthcare setting – patients may need big guns like Zosyn and Inapenum.
- Elevation of the head of the bed and suctioning off secretions can help reduce the risk of HCA pneumonia in the ED.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/cap-vs-hca-pneumonia/