Run Time: 3 minutes
Author: Dr. Michael Hunt
- 1/3 of Americans have Metabolic Syndrome or Syndrome X. The risk factors for Metabolic Syndrome are obesity, lack of physical activity, and genetics. You need three of the five qualifications to be diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome.
- Waistline greater than 40 inches for men and 35 inches for women.
- Triglyceride level greater than 150.
- HDL less than 40 for men or less than 50 for females.
- Systolic pressure over 130 and/or diastolic pressure over 85.
- Fasting blood glucose level over 100.
- Researchers at Oregon State found that beer contains flavonoids, specifically xanthohumol, is found to decrease LDL, circulating insulin, and IL-6. Mice who were given xanthohumol increased metabolism and subsequently led to a 22% less gain in weight in the mice.
- These mice received 60 mg per kilo for this to occur. This requires humans to drink 3500-4000 pints to have an equivalent consumption.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/beer/