Run Time: 5 minutes
Author: Dr. Suzanne Chilton
- Zika originated in 1947 in a Risus monkey in Uganda, the first human case was in 1952 – spread by the Aedea aeygpti and the Aedes albopictus mosquitoes.
- For adults symptoms are mild – maculopapular rash, conjunctivitis, fever, and joint pain for several days to a week.
- Numerous birth defects for a child if a pregnant woman gets the Zika virus – it is not known what stage of pregnancy is most affected.
- The states that will be most affected by the Zika virus will likely be Texas and Florida, due to political and environmental factors.
- 3.5 millions people in Puerto Rico will have Zika within the next year.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/the-zika-virus/