Contributor: Nick Hatch, MD
- Dalbavancin (Dalvance®) is an antibiotic that can be used for skin and soft tissue infections, providing MRSA coverage
- It cannot be used in other infections or sepsis
- Dalbavancin may be appealing as a single dose lasts about 2 weeks
- Expense is currently a large barrier to use
- Patients with a vancomycin allergy will likely be allergic to Dalbavancin as the two are related
Patel M, Smalley S, Dubrovskaya Y, Siegfried J, Caspers C, Pham V, Press RA, Papadopoulos J. Dalbavancin Use in the Emergency Department Setting. Ann Pharmacother. 2019 Jun 3;:1060028019855159. doi: 10.1177/1060028019855159. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31155916.
Summarized by Will Dewispelaere, MS4 | Edited by Erik Verzemnieks, MD