Author: Chris Holmes, MD
- In WWI, the 2nd leading cause of soldier disability were STDs.
- An early treatment of syphilis included topical and inhaled mercury
- Bloodletting, vitriol, arsenic, and bismuth were other treatments for syphilis.
- Infecting patients with Malaria and treating the Malaria was also tried
- Thankfully penicillin was discovered for our syphilis woes
Frith J. . Syphilis – Its early history and Treatment until Penicillin and the Debate on its Origins. Journal of Military and Veterans Health. 2012. 20(4): 49-58 https://jmvh.org/article/syphilis-its-early-history-and-treatment-until-penicillin-and-the-debate-on-its-origins/
Summarized by Travis Barlock, MS4 | Edited by Erik Verzemnieks, MD