Author: Sam Killian, MD
- Japan recently approved baloxavir marboxil (Xofluza), which may potentially “kill” Flu A/B within 24 hours
- Recent RCT trial showed superiority over oseltamavir (Tamiflu) in cessation of viral shedding (24 vs 72 hours)
- Compared to placebo, superior in time to symptom resolution (53.7 vs 80.7 hours)
- Administered as single dose
- Yet to be considered for FDA approval
Portsmouth S, Kawaguchi K, Arai M, Tsuchiya K, Uehara T. Cap-dependent Endonuclease Inhibitor S-033188 for the Treatment of Influenza: Results from a Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo- and Active-Controlled Study in Otherwise Healthy Adolescents and Adults with Seasonal Influenza. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 2017;4(Suppl 1):S734. doi:10.1093/ofid/ofx180.001.