Podcast #275: Battery Ingestions

Author: Nick Hatch, M.D.

Educational Pearls

  • Unlike coin ingestions, button batteries can cause necrosis of the GI tract.
  • If lodged in the esophagus, removal within 2 hours is important, because they can cause problems such as strictures or esophago-aortic fistula.
  • If the battery is in the stomach or beyond, it may be ok to let it pass but give strict return precautions.
  • Small hearing aid batteries are not as dangerous, but still require close follow-up to ensure the battery passes.
  • Delayed effects (after passage of the battery) are possible.

References: https://www.poison.org/battery/guideline

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *