Author: Susan Brion M.D.
- Laundry and dishwasher detergent pods resemble candy and can be ingested by children.
- These tide pods are very highly concentrated and can cause chemical burns of the lips, airway, eyes, mouth and esophagus.
- The strong bases in detergent pods (pH>12) can cause liquefactive necrosis, which can cause immediate perforation of the esophagus.
- Common symptoms associated with ingestion of detergent pods include pain, dysphagia, drooling, mediastinal pain, upper airway inflammation. The presence or absence of symptoms does not indicate severity – suspected ingestions should be admitted and undergo bronchoscopy.
- Mental status should be assessed rapidly because detergent ingestion can lead to CNS depression and aspiration.