Author: Aaron Lessen M.D.
- Imodium (loperamide) is a mu-opioid receptor agonist. Traditionally, it is used as an anti-diarrheal. It is also abused recreationally for an opioid high and to self-treat opioid withdrawal.
- 40 or more pills are often ingested. People often co-ingest with cimetidine to potentiate the desired effects.
- Patients will present with opioid overdose symptoms (narrow pupils, respiratory depression).
- Narcan is effective in reversing an overdose of Imodium.
- Imodium prolongs QT and predisposes to Torsades, so monitor rhythm and then treat like any other opioid OD.