Author: Jared Scott M.D.
- There are two anatomical triangles on the back, the inferior lumbar triangle and the superior lumbar triangle.
- Herniation occurs whenever something moves to a place where it is not supposed to be, often through a fascial weakness.
- A “back hernia” can happen when the contents of of the abdominal cavity herniate into the back, usually through the superior lumbar triangle. This is also known as a Grynfeltt-Lesshaft hernia.
- Back hernias can be traumatic or congenital.
- These hernias are typically treated surgically.