Run Time: 3 minutes
Author: Dylan Luyten M.D.
- The most recent data on value on interventional neuroradiology suggests that the patients who receive the most benefit from neuroradiology are those with a large vessel occlusion, and can have up to 50% reduction in mortality.
- The question is for EMS, when should you bypass other hospitals to go directly to a comprehensive stroke center with neuroradiology.
- The CPSSS – Cincinnati prehospital stroke severity score – is an augmentation of the Cincinnati prehospital stroke scale to help identify a large vessel occlusion.
- CPSSS is a 4 point score: 2 – eye deviation, 1- abnormal LOC, 1 – arm drift.
- A score of 2 or more is 80% sensitivity for a large vessel occlusion. However the specificity is not of this scale is not as good.
- There is a large push to standardize the CPSSS to allow EMS to bypass other hospitals in order to get to comprehensive stroke center.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/cpsss/