Run Time: 2 minutes
Author: John Winkler M.D.
- There are multiple synthetic marijuana alternatives that causes more amphetamine reaction. Known as Spice, K2, and many other names, they are made by changing the side branches of THC.
- An overdose can cause a spectrum of reactions from general agitation to severe excited delirium to death.
- Patients present physiologically with tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, elevated temperature, psychosis, and severe agitation.
- It is important to make sure that the patient is kept calm and safe with multiple doses of sedating medication, end tidal CO2, and airway protection.
- In New York City on 7/13/16 33 people had a suspected overdose on synthetic marijuana.
- To make a synthetic marijuana illegal the exact chemical structure needs to be presented to the legislature, and can sometimes take up to 1 year. However, the frequency of changes in the chemical structure of synthetic marijuana hard to keep illegal.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/spice/