Run Time: 3 minutes
Author: Jared Scott M.D.
- Adrenal glands sit on top of kidneys, and are approximately the size of a walnut.
- Each of the different layers of the adrenal glands make hormones and those hormones become more desirable with each layer – salt hormones→ sugar hormones→ sex hormones.
- Top layer: the zona glomerulosa makes aldosterone, which moderates sodium, potassium, and BP.
- Zona fasciculata makes cortisol, which helps with sugar and BP management.
- Zona reticularis makes progesterones, androgens, and estrogen precursors – or the “sex” hormones.
- Deepest layer: adrenal medulla produces epinephrine and norepinephrine.
- Critically ill patients without adrenal glands can have major complications and need to have their missing hormones replaced.
- Adrenal function can also be suppressed from long-term daily steroid use.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/adrenal-glands/