Run Time: 2 minutes
Author: Dylan Luyten M.D.
- Axiom: a universally accepted truth.
- Pseudo Axiom: Something that is held to be a truth, but is just handed down, and not questioned or scrutinized.
- The use of sterile saline to irrigate wounds has been aggressively studied and definitively demonstrated to be unnecessary.
- Studies have shown that tap water is at least as good or better at wound infection vs. sterile saline.
- It is estimated that if the patient’s hand is run under tap water for 5 minutes as opposed to a liter of saline w/ splash guard and syringe the cost savings in the United States wound be $66 million.