Run Time: 11 minutes
Author: Dr. Donald Stader
- Thyroid literally means shield and is important for growth and cortisol/adrenaline modulation.
- Hyperthyroidism puts the body in a hypercatabolic state causes agitation, fine tremors, tachycardia and Atrial Fibrillation.
- Iodine – like the kind given for a contrast CT scan – has been associated with precipitating a Thyroid Storm.
- A thyroid storm is triggered by 2 things: 1. A Physiologic stressor and 2. High thyroid hormone levels – hyperthyroidism!
- Thyroid Storm mimics sepsis – people are SICK AS STINK!
- The thyroid storm is treated in steps: 1. Beta-blocker – Propranolol because it inhibits T3 conversion, tx’s sx 2. Methimazole and PTU – inhibits the body from making more thyroid hormone 3. Iodine – causes the Wolff-Chaikoff effect 4. Steroid – decrease conversion of T4 to T3 5. Cholestyramine – decreases absorption of thyroid hormone. ICU Admission.