Run Time: 3 minutes
Author: Dr. Christopher Holmes
- 2 Billion Dollars is spent on Diverticulitis a year
- Typically has been treated with antibiotics
- Large studies in Sweden / Netherlands – treated patients in the hospital with either Antibiotics or normal saline. They had the same resolution rate! Suggests antibiotics are of little utility.
- Old myth – you don’t have to avoid nuts / seed / pop corn / etc in Diverticulitis – as is the old teaching – this has been disproven!
- Key question – Can we consider discussion with patients to not treat antibiotics – may be an evolving standard of care.