The Emergency Medical Minute Diversity and Inclusion Award was created in 2021 to reflect our commitment towards supporting and promoting equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) in Emergency Medicine. We recognize certain groups are underrepresented within the medical profession and increasing representation is important for the medical community and the patients we serve. In order to improve diversity and inclusion among healthcare professionals, we are extending three $200 awards to selected individuals applying to emergency medicine residency for the 2022-2023 application cycle. This award hopes to ease the financial burdens of the application process and provide students opportunities to further their career goals. While we have produced several podcasts that highlight underrepresented voices and identify disparities in medicine in the past, we want to do more. So we are inviting our applicants to join us in the brainstorming phase as we plan our next EDI initiative to better fulfill our commitment.
Fourth year medical students who identify as underrepresented in medicine (URiM) and are applying to U.S. residency programs in Emergency Medicine for the 2022-2023 application cycle.
The application opens on 9/26/22 for submissions. The following are required for a complete application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of residency application submission
- Short essay on your ideas for how the EMM can best promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in emergency medicine and the FOAMed community
- Some example episodes we’ve produced in the past that promote EDI: Cultural Sensitivity with LGBTIQ+ Patients, UnfilterED with Russell J. Ledet, Ph.D, UnfilterED with Dr. Steven Bradley, Racial Bias in Pulse Oximetry
- Our UnfilterED episode with our 2021 EDI Award winners
Recipients will be judged on:
- Creativity, applicability, and impact of the ideas in the short essay
- Commitment to the field of emergency medicine as shown by the CV
$200 per award recipient; three recipients will be chosen
11/30/22 at 11:59 pm MT
Award Notification Date
The EMM Award Committee will notify those selected by 12/15/22 via email.