Author: Don Stader, M.D.
- While we usually associate the coronary vasculature with STEMIs, there are other pathologies that can affect the heart’s blood supply.
- Kounis syndrome: an allergic vasospasm of the coronary arteries. This can happen post anaphylaxis or be caused by a stent allergy. It is best treated with aggressive management of the allergic reaction.
- Kawasaki disease: An autoimmune condition that presents in kids as conjunctivitis, lymphadenopathy, hand/foot swelling, rash, and fever. It can also cause coronary aneurysms, which can rupture and be rapidly fatal.
- Prinzmetal angina: Caused by coronary vasospasm. Presents with transient chest pain at rest. Treat with CCBs.
- Cocaine: Causes coronary vasospasm. Cocaine-induced vasospasm is best treated with BZDs.
- Coronary artery dissection: increased risk in pregnant women and those with connective tissue disorders.
References: Memon S, Chhabra L, Masrur S, Parker MW. Allergic acute coronary syndrome (Kounis syndrome). Proceedings (Baylor University Medical Center). 2015;28(3):358-362.
Authors: Rebecca van Vliet MS, APN; Michelle Whaley MSN, CNS, CCNS, ANVP-VC
The Stroke Team at Swedish Medical Center gives us a taste of how they are breaking records with door-to-needle time in management of acute cerebrovascular accidents.
Author: Michael Hunt M.D.
Dr. Hunt shares his wealth of experience with biological terrorism over the course of his career.
Run Time: 4 minutes
Author: Jared Scott, MD
- Aortic dissection = separation between 2 layers of vessel wall (usually intima and media)
- Aortic Aneurysm = cystic dilation of the aorta
- Aortic dissection associated with severe HTN or connective tissue disorders (Marfan’s, Ehlers-Danlos, etc.)
- AAA associated with HTN, DM, HLD, smoking (same risks for MI)
- Aortic dissection starts proximal in chest and peels down
- AAA confined to abdomen and can rupture. 90% mortality.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/aortic-dissection/
Run Time: 1 minutes
Author: Aaron Lessen M.D.
- Patients with concussions are frequently seen in the ED, and generally are given good home health care precautions.
- A new study for post concussion management looked at driving performance after a concussion.
- The study showed that 48 hours after symptoms had resolved, patients who were diagnosed with a concussion did worse on a standard performance test than people without a concussion.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/concussions/
Run Time: 3 minutes
Author: Gretchen Hinson M.D.
- Case presentation: a 44 year-old male after a syncope was found to have a heart rate of 261 wide complex tachycardia and a SBP in the 80s for EMS in the field. The patient was given adenosine on arrival to the ED, but with no resolution of the tachycardia, but after electrocardioversion the patient’s heart rate converted to 100 but still in a wide complex tachycardia.
- The missing piece of history for this patient is a diagnosis of lupus with previous pulmonary complications and systemic skin changes.
- Lupus can also cause myocarditis and conduction abnormalities along with the more common skin changes and renal complications.
Link to Podcast: http://medicalminute.madewithopinion.com/lupus-myocarditis/
WordPress is an award-winning web software, used by millions of webmasters worldwide for building their website or blog. SiteGround is proud to host this particular WordPress installation and provide users with multiple resources to facilitate the management of their WP websites:
SiteGround provides superior WordPress hosting focused on speed, security and customer service. We take care of WordPress sites security with unique server-level customizations, WP auto-updates, and daily backups. We make them faster by regularly upgrading our hardware, offering free CDN with Railgun and developing our SuperCacher that speeds sites up to 100 times! And last but not least, we provide real WordPress help 24/7! Learn more about SiteGround WordPress hosting
WordPress tutorial and knowledgebase articles
WordPress is considered an easy to work with software. Yet, if you are a beginner you might need some help, or you might be looking for tweaks that do not come naturally even to more advanced users. SiteGround WordPress tutorial includes installation and theme change instructions, management of WordPress plugins, manual upgrade and backup creation, and more. If you are looking for a more rare setup or modification, you may visit SiteGround Knowledgebase.
SiteGround experts not only develop various solutions for WordPress sites, but also create unique designs that you could download for free. SiteGround WordPress themes are easy to customize for the particular use of the webmaster.
Couldn’t make it to the blockbuster event on September 26th at the Great Divide Brewery?! Or simply want to relive the experience? Well now you can listen and watch to every speech from our Symposium online at WATCH OR LISTEN NOW!